st: Fwd: graph/histogram: Can I change the color for each histogram bar/bin separately?

From   Victor Ciofoaia <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Fwd: graph/histogram: Can I change the color for each histogram bar/bin separately?
Date   Tue, 24 Sep 2013 12:18:05 -0400

Hello everybody!

I will skip the first thing I desperately burn to say "this is my
first email to statalist, stata is great! " :)

I need to do a graph and I managed to make it look nicely as I wanted
with the by option, getting a 12 years trend:

.histogram surgery_type, discrete by(year, total col(12))

The histogram is actually done for just 4 values(1-4), but I would
like to emphasize how the frequencies changed - a trend in the
histogram and I could not figure out how to change the color bars in
histogram. I can change the color for all the bars, but not for the
1st bin (ed reg), 2nd bin ( eg blue) etc... Is there a way to do this
for a histogram?

I assume I could somehow build a histogram from scratch, but that
would be too complicated for me at my training point. BTW, is there an
easy way to make your own histogram from scratch if changing color
bars does not work?

Thank you very much for any advice on where to go from here.

Victor