Re: st: RE: Graph format for publication with Springer

From   Joerg Luedicke <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: Graph format for publication with Springer
Date   Tue, 24 Sep 2013 11:16:20 -0400

I would discuss such issues directly with the responsible typesetter.

Joerg

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 11:08 AM, Jacob McDermott <[email protected]> wrote:
> Thank you for the response.
>
> This book is to be published as both a physical book and an ebook. Are you
> saying that the ebook version will likely have higher resolution graphs than
> this proof?
>
> Jacob
>

> On 9/24/2013 9:49 AM, Robert Picard wrote:
>>
>> While it is true that Encapsulated postscript can be rendered at any
>> resolution, they may also be quite large and slow to render if the
>> original graph contains a large number of objects (e.g. 100K points).
>> The 1200 dpi TIFF should provide plenty of resolution for publication.
>> The downside of TIFFs is that they are quite large (and uncompressed).
>> A 1200dpi file (7200x5236) graph is 150MB. If you have one hundred for
>> a book, the proofs would be 15GB if produced at full resolution.
>>
>> Springer just produced a reduced sized PDF for the proofs (low
>> resolution, probably 72dpi, and compressed for bitmapped graphics) to
>> reduce the file size. The EPSs will look better in the PDF proofs but
>> it is not likely to make a difference once printed because the
>> typesetters will use full-resolution TIFFs.
>>
>> Robert
>>
>> On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 10:10 AM,  <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Jacob,
>>>
>>> Vector formats such as .eps (or .pdf) should be preferred over raster
>>> images such as .tiff or .jpg. Vector images do not pixelate when they are
>>> enlarged as raster images do. Just send your .eps graphs to Springer and you
>>> will notice the difference. The reason why .tiff images look better in word
>>> is because word cannot handle (the otherwise preferable) vector images.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Kostas