RE: st: number of processes/threads open and used under StataMP

From   Joe Canner <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: number of processes/threads open and used under StataMP
Date   Tue, 17 Sep 2013 16:41:58 +0000

Laszlo,

Thanks for the update; this is very useful.  Do you have any information on what system settings are involved?  I am interested to check and see if this is an issue on our servers.

Regards,
Joe

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of László Sándor
Sent: Tuesday, September 17, 2013 11:24 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: number of processes/threads open and used under StataMP

For the record: system settings limited Stata from utilizing all the cores it was licensed to use. IT fixed the problem for me since, but never noticed.

There might be a deeper lesson here: Maybe advanced users want to check up on this every once in a while.

Or even Stata could have a warning about this on startup, esp. if it can verify the number of cores on the system being larger than how many processes/threads the OS allows to open (and the license would apply for more).