Re: st: the memory footprint and execution speed of -mf_quadcross()-

From   Maarten Buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: the memory footprint and execution speed of -mf_quadcross()-
Date   Fri, 13 Sep 2013 09:03:15 +0200

On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 9:52 PM, László Sándor wrote:
> PS: I must wonder about the usefulness of all my questions if they
> attract few comments. Thanks for bearing with me anyway.

Dealing efficiently with big data is an incredibly complex problem (as
you seem to be finding out the hard way), to the extend that
professional programmers are pretty much the only people who can say
something meaningful about your questions. Professional programmers
typically do other things than statistics (they program), and thus
work with other pieces of software, and so they are not likely to be
present on this list. The only exception would be the people that work
at StataCorp. However, I observe that they choose to remain silent. I
guess because any answer from them could be interpreted as an
indication of what they might or might not be working on, and
StataCorp has a strict policy against such public statements. I would
consider that a fair enough argument, even though it is frustrating
for you. You could try and contact StataCorp directly with your
questions.

-- Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
WZB