Re: st: the memory footprint and execution speed of -mf_quadcross()-

From   László Sándor <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: the memory footprint and execution speed of -mf_quadcross()-
Date   Thu, 12 Sep 2013 18:54:13 -0400

Thanks again, Billy.

I was hoping to generate some discussion, esp. if we don't need to
speculate (like I could) but someone actually had a reference I did
not find or had some experience with the mentioned trade-off.

I did not expect anyone to present a cost-benefit analysis for my
case, of course, but I was (and am) lacking guidance on how much
slower can -mf_quadcross()- be. Not in my specific case, but in more
general scenarios.

But OK, let's be reasonable and say that if there are two separate
functions, the performance difference must be substantial, probably
even more for big data.

Stata does not do bad for my application, but yes, I want to improve
what I can. I don't think I brought up only freakish fringe cases.
E.g. to use st_views() without making copies could be important for
many applications, even with fewer observation and variables than what
I have. I still have no better answer.

Thanks!

Laszlo