RE: st: Conditional Variable means to new observation

From   Nickolas Lyell <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Conditional Variable means to new observation
Date   Wed, 11 Sep 2013 12:56:07 -0400

Actually,  I'm now trying to do a similar process of summations and means but I would like to use a bysort command with it.

My data looks something like this:

fips_num	NAICS	sector		GDP
1001		112	agriculture	240
1001		114	agriculture 	310
1002		112	agriculture	105
1002		114	agriculture	112

As such, I have over 3000 counties (id = fips_num) and would like to do what Phil suggested below.  Copied here with the relevant fields:

    preserve
        ds _all, has(type numeric)
        collapse (sum) `r(varlist)' if sector=="agriculture"
        tempfile totals
        save `"`totals'"'
    restore
    append using `"`totals'"'

but I would like to do it bysort fips_num.

Again, I realize this isn't something you normally want to do to a dataset, but seeing as I'm not planning on doing any kind of regression on this data, having the sums as new observations, rather than variables, would make my life much easier.  Optimally, I would then drop all the non-sum variables, so I don't necessarily need the to append the tempfile.  I could, rather, just use a command that would create a new file with all the "sector" sums by fips_num.

Nicholas Lyell
Research Associate
National Association of Counties | NACo
[email protected] | 202.661.8820