Re: st: Population average in panel data

From   Maarten Buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Population average in panel data
Date   Wed, 11 Sep 2013 12:32:30 +0200

In non-linear multilevel models population average models are not the
same as random effects models. For an explanation of the difference, I
like chapter 13 of Garrett M. Fitzmaurice, Nan M. Laird and James H.
Ware (2004) "Applied Longitudinal Analysis" Hoboken: Wiley
Interscience.

Hope this helps,
Maarten

On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 12:20 PM, Neil Hewitt <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I am doing panel data analysis as part of the work I am involved. I have used the population average (pa) option in order to get robust standard errors.
>
> The panel data has been xtset i year
>
> I have 81,000 i, 11 years
>
> The data is population averaged using i.
>
> As I understand it pa, averages across all the observation over the unit of aggregation (in this case i). As there is only one unit therefore this is surely the same as random effects, with the bonus of robust standard errors which isn't available with random effects?
>
> I am of course assuming that the pa option keeps the longitudinal aspect of panel data and is not therefore averaging over 11 years? I have used pa for xtnbreg, xtpoisson and xtlogit.
>
> If it is not and given the fact that I have put lags on my explanatory variables, how are these possible, and interpretable if averaging is not done with each time period?
>
> Many thanks for your input, it is very much appreciated
>
> Neil
>

> This message and any attachment are intended solely for the addressee and may contain confidential information. If you have received this message in error, please send it back to me, and immediately delete it.   Please do not use, copy or disclose the information contained in this message or in any attachment.  Any views or opinions expressed by the author of this email do not necessarily reflect the views of the University of Nottingham.

> may still contain software viruses which could damage your computer system, you are advised to perform your own checks. Email communications with the University of Nottingham may be monitored as permitted by UK legislation.

Maarten L. Buis
WZB
Reichpietschufer 50
10785 Berlin