st: Mlogit Nonresulting Large Dataset

From   Mike Butterfield <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Mlogit Nonresulting Large Dataset
Date   Mon, 9 Sep 2013 00:12:08 -0500

Hi Statalisters,

I am using a subpopulation of the National Inpatient Sample, about 3million
cases, and looking at different predictors for discharge types (0 = routine
1= died in hospital 2= to SNF/nursing home), controlling with Elixhauser
comorbidities.

Stata can give me results with many of my predictor variables within about
10 minutes.  However, when I use an ordinal predictor variable (eg hospital
type small/medium/large), nothing happens, I've left it running for a day
or two without any sign that data will be resulted.  Any ideas on what
could be going wrong?

I'm using a Mac with 8g of ram and stata 12.

Here's the basic command function:

svy, subpop(AGE if AGE>=18&AGE<=90): mlogit discharge HOSP_SIZE elix1 elix2
elix3 elix4 ...[through elix 30]

Mike