Re: st: repeated time values within panel

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: repeated time values within panel
Date   Fri, 6 Sep 2013 09:13:52 +0100

That is not really addressing the point.

-xtset- needs to be set specifying a time variable ahead only of
commands that require a time variable; which commands do you envisage
using with that requirement?

The fact is that your dataset is one in which ties on year exist and
are natural, so no -xt- method that requires unique (id, time)
observations will make sense any way.

Stata itself recognises this distinction by _not_ requiring a time
variable to be set; you may specify a panel identifier and that alone
in -xtset-.