Re: Re: st: about residuals and coefficients

From   Yuval Arbel <[email protected]>
To   statalist <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: Re: st: about residuals and coefficients
Date   Thu, 5 Sep 2013 22:54:06 -0700

David,

I see as part of our job to educate our students (and the general
public) - how to interpret correctly statistical information (with
some caution). There are many common mistaken beliefs in the general
public regarding statistical information, which leads to wrong
conclusions.

A famous example that comes to my mind (from a book written by the
mathematician Haim Shapira) - is a statement made in the O.J. Simpson
trial ("among all persons who hit their wives, only a fraction
actually murdered them" - where the correct question should be -
"among all the murdered women, what is the percentage of cases where
the murderer was the hitting husband?")

I treat statistical inference in the same way Winston ChurcilI treats
Democracy (it is a bad system - but the best among all the existing
alternatives). In my opinion - one should view regression analysis as
a very rough approximation. Recall, that regression analysis "works"
under very very long series of assumptions, where collinearity is only
one problem. We did not start talking about functional form and model
specification, simultaneity etc.

Yet, from all the alternatives, when I make comparisons across groups
- I'd rather make them by using projection of regression analysis,
rather than simple descriptive statistics comparison.

An interesting discussion in this context - is given by the noble
prize winner Daniel Kahneman. He concludes - that projected values
produced from a regression analysis - is better than intuitive
prediction (according to the principle - "the prediction should be
weaker than the information it is relied on")

Dr. Yuval Arbel
School of Business
Carmel Academic Center
4 Shaar Palmer Street,