st: Choosing correct test for significance, grouped ordinal data

From   Yerik Kaslow <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Choosing correct test for significance, grouped ordinal data
Date   Thu, 5 Sep 2013 16:10:57 -0500

Hi Statalisters,

I have a simple question, I am more looking for confirmation than anything else.

I am working with ordinal data (scale of 1-10, 1-5, etc) from patient
reported outcomes for health status.

Distribution is not normal, always clustered at one end of the scale.

I am trying to test for significant differences between 2 groups from
the same population

Group1 are those who received the intervention therapy
Group2 are those in the control group

I am using a Mann Whitney, Wilcoxon rank sum test, split by arm
(intervention, control)

Syntax is simple

ranksum /var/, by(arm)

Is there a better test for this type of data??

It might be worth noting that this dataset is made up of multiple
health status 10 times, and another might report their status 21
times.

Thank you for help and insight,

Yerik Kaslow

--