Re: st: Main effect for time-varying covariate

From   Nicole Boyle <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Main effect for time-varying covariate
Date   Thu, 5 Sep 2013 11:48:17 -0700

Wonderful, Phil, thanks for the explanation! I'm going to go ahead and
plot both outcomes.
Thanks so much to Phil, Steve, and Adam... this has been a
tremennnndously helpful and thought-provoking conversation. I have
learned so much. I very much appreciate all the time each of you have
taken to help me with this.

To sum up, here are the following analysis choices I've made per our
discussion. Feel free to chime in if anything rubs you the wrong way:

-Modeling of hazard ratios will no longer be through the Fine-Gray
model. Instead, covariate effects on the cause-specific hazard will be
estimated through the Cox model, where the competing risk is censored.
The only cause-specific event to be modeled will be the primary
outcome of interest.

-The CIFs will be plotted in both forms:
    * Cause-specific CIFs for both the primary outcome and competing
outcome (-stcompet-)
    * Subdistribution CIF for just the primary outcome (-stcrreg-).
Simply for comparison's sake.

-I'm going to use -stsplit- instead of the -tvc- option to capture the
time-varying nature of the time-varying risk factor, and then throw
this risk factor into the model as a simple ["time-invariant"]
covariate. I've decided to split at failure times, and expand the
coding of the TVC risk factor to be "on" or "off" for each created
time slot. Doing so will exploit the Cox model's maximum partial
likelihood estimator property (briefly explained on page 13:
http://www.stata.com/manuals13/ststsplit.pdf ).

Nicole