Re: st: Why many things have Normal distribution

Subject   Re: st: Why many things have Normal distribution
Date   Fri, 30 Aug 2013 18:12:02 -0400

David,

Here is some empirical evidence: the book by Hampel et al.(1986, pp
22-23) cites several investigators, starting with Bessel in 1818, who
studied "very high quality" data sets. Most of the sets were
longer-tailed than the normal and were well-approximated by
t-distributions with 3-9 d.f. Slight skewness was also noted.

Steve

Reference:

Hampel, Frank, Elvezio Ronchetti, Peter Rousseeuw, and Werner Stahel.
1986. Robust Statistics: The Approach Based on Influence Functions
(Wiley Series in Probability and Mathematical Statistics). New York:
John Wiley and Sons.

Jeffereys, H. (1939,1961). Theory of Probability. Clarendon Press,
Oxford