Re: st: Why many things have Normal distribution

From   Yuval Arbel <[email protected]>
To   statalist <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Why many things have Normal distribution
Date   Thu, 29 Aug 2013 14:38:14 -0700

What about the central limit theorem? I was referring to physical
human features - such as height - and the example of Napoleon's army
candidates for draft. In an army of millions of soldiers - you would
expect a normal distribution of heights. The problem is that those who
tried to avoid drafting probably bribed somebody to write false
heights, which is shorter than the minimal required height. In this
case - you might get a skewed distribution of heights

On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 2:25 PM, David Hoaglin <[email protected]> wrote:
> Yuval,
>
> What empirical evidence do you have for the statement that "for very
> large samples - if the distribution is not approximately normal -
> there is something wrong with the data"?
>
> In practice, the opposite is the rule: As the sample size becomes
> larger, the departure of the distribution from a normal distribution
> becomes more evident.
>
> David Hoaglin

Dr. Yuval Arbel
School of Business