Re: st: Cannot get insheet to work, data do not load properly

From   Laura Grant <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Cannot get insheet to work, data do not load properly
Date   Thu, 29 Aug 2013 12:50:51 -0500

Thanks Joe. Per your and Nick's suggestions I copied and pasted all
but the top lines into a new document and saved as different file name
and type. The data now load! But there is a funky preamble in the
first five rows, indicating something corrupt about the file:

v1
{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\cocoartf1187\cocoasubrtf390
{\fonttbl\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Helvetica;}
{\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;}
\margl1440\margr1440\vieww20380\viewh8400\viewkind0
\pard\tx720\tx1440\tx2160\tx2880\tx3600\tx4320\tx5040\tx5760\tx6480\tx7200\tx7920\tx8640\pardirnatural
\f0\fs24 \cf0 40039300

But at least I now have all the data, I think.

Best, Laura

On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 12:35 PM, Joe Canner <[email protected]> wrote:
> Laura,
>
> I second Nick's suggestion about corrupted files.  Text files are particularly susceptible to such things, depending on what you are using to generate them and/or edit them.
>
> I noticed some other things that are awry that might help focus your search:
> 1. You ran -insheet- several times in a row and the next-to-last time it read a different number of observations.  Did you make any changes to the file before or after that step?  If not, that in itself is a cause for concern.  If you did make changes, perhaps you accidentally made some other fatal changes.
> 2. You variables have names v1, v2, etc.  You should add the -names- option to -insheet- to fix this, although on my Stata (also 12.1) it figured out automatically that I had names in the first row.  This suggests that maybe the problem is near the beginning.  Are the variable names separated by tabs as well?
>
> Regards,
> Joe Canner
> Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine

>>> 0:00 1131 25
>>> 44444443 5553 N GENERAL AV   99999996 Res 12/11/07 0:00 1131 3/11/08