Re: st: Main effect for time-varying covariate

From   Adam Olszewski <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Main effect for time-varying covariate
Date   Wed, 28 Aug 2013 20:50:53 -0400

The way you describe your analysis (if I understand it correctly)
sounds like an appropriate setup to use the split-time analysis. This
is one of the three methods to account for immortal time bias (IPTW
would be your other option), as reviewed extensively, most recently in
Hurder et al., JCO 2013 (
http://jco.ascopubs.org/content/31/23/2963.long )
One would, split each observation at the time of "on/off" switch for
your factor, effectively creating 2 observations for each patient
(time "before" risk factor and "after") - using _stsplit_, and then
run stcrreg without any TVC component.
The Stata manual TVC methodology does something different - it assumes
that the covariate value is changing during time in a continuous
(exponentially decreasing) manner, but this is not a case in your
binary covariate setup (although you could probably use texp(t>event)
to achieve the same).

Adam Olszewski