Re: st: Request for urgent response

From   "Roger B. Newson" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Request for urgent response
Date   Fri, 23 Aug 2013 12:18:14 +0100

Thanks to Stephen for the appreciation, The -scsomersd- package treats ties in the usual way for -somersd-. That is to say, the Gini coefficient is equal to

G = Pr(Y_1<Y_2) - Pr(Y_1>Y_2)

where Y_1 is the money of an individual sampled randomly and equiprobably from the population, and Y_2 is the money of an individual sampled randomly from the population with probability proportional to money. In other words, the Gini coefficient is the area above the Lorenz curve minus the area below the Lorenz curve, assuming that the Lorenz curve itself is a set of non-zero measure, defined as the event in which Y_1 and Y_2 are equal. As stated in Subsection 5.3 of Newson (2006), if the women in the -womenwage- data organise 2 lotteries, the first with 1 ticket per woman and the second where each woman buys a number of tickets proportional to her wages, then there is a nonzero probability that the 2 lottery winners will have equal wages. In fact, they may even be the same woman, even if the lottery is not fixed, although the other women in the sample will probably not believe this if it happens.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes

Roger

References

Newson R. Confidence intervals for rank statistics: Somers' D and extensions. The Stata Journal 2006; 6(3): 309-334. Download from
http://www.stata-journal.com/article.html?article=snp15_6

Roger B Newson BSc MSc DPhil
Lecturer in Medical Statistics
National Heart and Lung Institute