st: tsline: narrowing the range using range()

From   Daniel Pollmann <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: tsline: narrowing the range using range()
Date   Thu, 22 Aug 2013 16:15:40 -0400

I am plotting a time series using tsline. The time series takes values in
[0,100], but I would like to restrict the range of the y-axis to [0,20], such
that the time series would spike out of the plot at some point and return
later.

The following code does not enforce the specified plot range when it is not a
superset of the range of the data:

tsline myseries, yscale(range(0 20))

In other words, if I have data points equal to 100, Stata widens the range
automatically to accommodate these points. Winter (Stata J., 2005) describes
the problem:

"To determine the range of an axis, Stata begins with the minimum and maximum
of the data. Then it will widen (but never narrow) the axis range as instructed
by
range(). Finally, it will widen the axis if necessary to accommodate any axis
labels."

(http://www.stata-journal.com/sjpdf.html?articlenum=gr0019)

I would like to be able to narrow the axis range, either using range() or some
other way. If there is an intended way to do this, it would be great to hear
about it, but I am also open to creative fixes and hacks. I've tried censoring
and truncating the data myself, but neither option produces nice-looking
results.

Thanks,

Daniel