Re: st: panel data/no observations

From   Andrew Reed <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: panel data/no observations
Date   Fri, 16 Aug 2013 17:28:48 +0200

Billy,

I have 79 entities, both banks and sovereigns and their corresponding daily exchange rate movements from September 21, 2000 until November 25, 2011. Not including the gaps, I have around 200,000 observations total. These were the commands I wrote in order to create the new variables.

Change in non-event exchange rates: gen dex_ne = dex if event==0

Credit Rating Level of non-event entity: gen ccr_ne = ccr1 if event ==0

Credit Rating Level of event entity: gen ccr_e = ccr1 if event==1

There are some entities that have no events whatsoever and there are few events anyways. I have quite a bit of missing values in the credit rating levels due to this very reason but I'm weary of replacing them with a number. Is this right to assume?