st: the values from -tabulate, summarize-

From   László Sándor <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: the values from -tabulate, summarize-
Date   Thu, 15 Aug 2013 15:55:46 -0400

Are they really irrecoverable, that is?

Hi all,

I am a frequent user of some code that logs a run of -tab, sum- to
calculate binned means for binned scatter graphs, and reads in the log
to plot in a separate Stata instance.

I see that the latter might be simply done by -scatteri- (though maybe
not with the same flexibility to add lines etc.?), but we still found
no fast way to calculate the binned means. Not even Mata comes close
to the optimized C code of -tab, sum-, let alone -bys: egen mean()-.
But is there really no way to recover the table that -tab, sum-
generated? Only logging the output and parsing the log?

Thanks,

Laszlo