Re: st: ordered dependent variable

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: ordered dependent variable
Date   Thu, 15 Aug 2013 08:50:20 +0100

Explaining exactly what your dependent variable is would clarify your
question, but I guess that you have ordered (ordinal, graded) scales,
such as 5-point scales, indicating relative satisfaction. To apply
ordinal probit, you would need to code those numerically, say as 1 to
5.

Nothing then stops you using exactly the same values in a standard
regression. No transformation is needed.

But that's a big jump: you are now treating the values as if they were
interval scale at least. (Being continuous or discrete is not quite
the main issue.)

So, now expect big arguments from any likely audience, many, perhaps
most, of whom are likely to regard this as invalid or meaningless or
at the very least problematic.

"in Stata" doesn't seem important here. The issues are statistical and
(social) scientific.