Re: st: Identifying the second occurrence of event in panel data

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Identifying the second occurrence of event in panel data
Date   Wed, 14 Aug 2013 11:33:02 +0100

It is the same idea.  -noccur- gets bumped up (increased by 1) every
time there is a new event. So, within panels, you want (a) -noccur- to
equal 2, but (b) only the first such observation.

by pid: gen byte first = noccur == 2

gets (a) and

by pid: gen byte first = noccur == 2 & noccur[_n-1] != noccur

gets you both (a) and (b). In general, someone's record could be

a block of 0s for -noccur- if they start out employed

a block of 1s for -noccur- starting at the first time employed

a block of 2s for -noccur- starting at the second time employed