re: Re: st: Significance test with -pscore- and -attnd-

From   "Ariel Linden, DrPH" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   re: Re: st: Significance test with -pscore- and -attnd-
Date   Tue, 13 Aug 2013 09:26:32 -0400

Lucas,

You should be aware that if you are trying to " compare these results with
"simple" ATT results" you will necessarily get different results. The
weighting approach provides an ATE estimate, and the attnd will provide you
with a ATT estimate that will likely differ from other ATT estimates because
it strictly uses matching with replacement, and of course, depends on the
k:1 scenario you set up.

All that said, I believe that you'll have to set up your data as wide in
order to use -attnd- (or for that matter, all other "canned" matching
programs available in Stata). Perhaps one work around would be to run such a
program limiting it to time==1 in a long format, but that is my speculation
only.

Ariel

Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 10:21:52 +0200
From: Lukas Borkowski <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: st: Significance test with -pscore- and -attnd-

Ariel,

thank you for the advice on how to check the statistical significance of ATT
following the user-written -attnd- command. The reference I was referring to
is Khandker, S. R., Koolwal, G. B. and Samad, H. A. (2010). Handbook on
Impact Evaluation. Quantitative Methods and Practices. The World Bank.
Washington, D. C. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Coming back to estimating ATT using panel data, I am aware that a Difference
in Difference estimation with propensity weights (ps/(1-ps)) could be a
suitable approach. However, I would like to compare these results with
"simple" ATT results, possibly derived with -attnd-. My question is on how
to implement -attnd- in a panel structure. In a two-waved perfectly balanced
panel, is it reasonable to convert my panel into a wide dataset using
-reshape- to run -pscore- using suitable covariates from the first wave and
then -attnd- on the outcome variable in the second wave?

Thanks for your advice. I really appreciate it!

Best, Lukas

#
Lukas Borkowski
University of London, School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS)

M: [email protected]

On 10.08.2013, at 16:39, "Ariel Linden, DrPH" <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Lucas,
>
> You are asking some very basic questions that would suggest you need to
> learn more about propensity score matching (or matching in a more broad
> sense). I suggest you read Stuart (2010) and Caliendo & Kopeinig (2008)
for