Re: st: RE: Cox regression for grouped survival data

Subject   Re: st: RE: Cox regression for grouped survival data
Date   Thu, 8 Aug 2013 20:40:38 -0400

Enzo, you can be as semi-parametric as you'd like with -cloglog-. With
enough data you can fit a separate integrated baseline hazard to each
interval.

But a parsimonious approach is to fit a flexible polynomial to the
period terms, perhaps a fractional polynomial (-fp-). In a similar
spirit, the packages -stpm- (Royston) and -stpm2- (Lambert) at SSC fit
restricted cubic splines to the survival function.

The shortcomings of the the standard Kaplan-Meier and Breslow estimates
(Breslow, 1972) were presented by Lambert and Royston at the 2009 UK
Stata meetings. Cox himself preferred a parametric approach (Reid, 1994,
p. 450), as did Efron (1988).