Re: st: Reading a variable from a spreadsheet and saving it as a macro

Subject   Re: st: Reading a variable from a spreadsheet and saving it as a macro
Date   Tue, 6 Aug 2013 13:16:24 -0400

Thats because you need to put quotes around `shnames'

currently it tries to execute the following statement (after the macro
is expanded)
display chp[1] chp[2] chp[3]
This is syntactically correct statement, and it means: "display the
first value of the variable chp".
Even though there is no syntax problem, the statement is valid only in
presence of a variable chp.
The macro didn't disappear anywhere and is still useable.
Note also that a statement "display 1 2 3" will result in "123" - this
is not what you want, right?

However, based on what you described you INTEND to do is to store the
scalars read from a file to a macro. Storing the chp[1] into a macro
would not do you any good in the absence of the data loaded into
memory. This is called "indirect reference" - instead of storing the
parameter, you store the address where the parameter may be retrieved.
It is a valid and useful programming technique, but the address must
point to some valid content, and content is what you clear in your
program.

There was a thread a while ago on the meaning and use of the '=' sign (equal):
http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2013-07/msg01032.html

In your case instead of
local shnames "chp[1] chp[2] chp[3]"
you want
local shnames "`=chp[1]' `=chp[2]' `=chp[3]'"

The resulting macro should survive the clearing of the dataset and
provide you with a list of 3 scalar parameters (that you can extract
with the word function if you want).

See example here:
do http://www.radyakin.org/statalist/2013080601/example.do

Best, Sergiy Radyakin