Re: st: How to estimate Fixed and random effects for a long panel dataset.

From   James Bailey <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: How to estimate Fixed and random effects for a long panel dataset.
Date   Sat, 3 Aug 2013 13:43:34 -0500

Herman,

First, I wonder what controls you are using- this could be the true cause
of the degrees of freedom issue.

If it really is a clustering issue, then Stata may be trying to stop you
for your own good. Mostly Harmless Econometrics section 8.2.3 discusses how
clustered standard errors are biased if there are fewer than 42 clusters,
and you are way under 42.
They discuss possible solutions, one of which is bootstrapped errors.

Finally, with such a large T and small N, it may make sense to abandon
panel models entirely and use a time series technique like Vector
Autoregression instead.

Best,
James Bailey
Temple University Department of Economics