Re: st: Merging w/ substituting for years with missing values

From   "James Beard" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Merging w/ substituting for years with missing values
Date   Sat, 03 Aug 2013 10:40:11 +0545

Another interpretation of the question would be "how to do the
merge". This can be acheived by using -expand- on the A dataset to
(say) produce (a total of) 5 records for each original record, then
merging this dataset with B on year and doing the -carryforward-.

* on dataset A
gen original_year = year
expand 5
sort original_year
by original_year: replace year = year - 3 + _n

Then use -merge- and -carryforward- as appropriate and finally drop
the records with year!=original_year. Because there may now be
duplicates on year, the merge would probably need to be m:1.