st: Bug in Stata 13 (Mac) with compress duplicating variables?

From   Wayne Folta <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Bug in Stata 13 (Mac) with compress duplicating variables?
Date   Fri, 02 Aug 2013 14:48:34 -0400

I was trying to graph a box plot:

. graph box dca, over(year)

year already defined
r(110);

But of course year exists, that's why I'm using it. I finally figured out that compress (I think) is duplicating variables in strange ways. For example, if I:

. lookfor "year"

              storage   display    value
variable name   type    format     label      variable label
year            int     %9.0g                 year
year            int     %9.0g                 year

I cannot see year twice in the Data Browser, but I do see it twice in the Variables Manager, and if I use the Variables Manager to change its label, it changes the label in both copies. I don't get any r(110)'s if I use year in most any way except in graph box's over(). I can drop year and then I only have one left. I'm not positive but I believe this started when I used compress. I also suspect compress because I had several duplicated variables and at least one of them had two different storage types (int and byte) and I know that the byte version occurred only because of a compress.

Anyone else seen this? (Love Stata 13, by the way, my introduction to Stata.)

   Wayne