Re: st: Merging w/ substituting for years with missing values

From   David Kantor <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Merging w/ substituting for years with missing values
Date   Fri, 02 Aug 2013 12:44:48 -0400

At 11:24 AM 8/2/2013, Leoni wrote:
I'm merging two panel datasets (A and B), one of which has few years (A, I only need those), while the other has observations for many years (B) -- but also has missing values for some of them. As most of the variables that have missing values don't change a lot, I want to tell STATA to use values from previous or following years (from B) if they're missing for the exact year I need (those in A). This sounds rather messy but is there an elegant way of doing this in STATA?

Any help is much appreciated.

Leoni

It's not too hard to write code to do that, but you may want to try carryforward from SSC. It goes forward, but you can use a negative date to trick it into gong backward. For filling inward, I like to do both forward and back, and see if the values agree.

HTH
--David