RE: st: Count observations

From   "Impavido, Gregorio" <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Count observations
Date   Tue, 23 Jul 2013 17:02:52 +0000

I am now unclear what you want to count.... so I try few things.

The following counts the number of times either A or B  appears in your variable _over all ids_ (I am following your statement that "A" and "B" are the "same" or "equivalent")

******* start example
count if fee=="A" | fee=="B"
******* end example

This does it _within each id_ (you had worked it out yourself)

******* start example
bysort id : count if fee=="A" | fee=="B"
******* end example

There are other things you can do. For instance, # of firms with either A or B, # of firms with both A and B, et cetera. In your second email you appear to be interested in the # of firms that have either A or B.  This can be done by:

******* start example
tab id if fee=="A" | fee=="B"
di r(r)
******* end example

while this counts the number of firms that have both "A" and "B" (but this crucially assumes that both "A" and "B", if they appear, cannot appear more than once. If either "A" or "B" can appear more than once by id, it does not work)

******* start example
gen touse = (fee=="A" | fee=="B")
bysort id : egen total = total(touse)
tab id if total==2