Re: st: correcting skewness of an indep variables

From   David Hoaglin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: correcting skewness of an indep variables
Date   Sun, 21 Jul 2013 15:20:32 -0400

Dimitrie,

I understand that natural disasters may be regarded as random events,
but that would not rule out some sort of time trend in the number of
articles.  Also, I suppose you have made the amounts of aid comparable
over time.

Skewness in a predictor would not affect the validity of its p-value.
I would not expect that aspect of the data ever to be a "primary
concern."

Setting aside outliers may be all right if those natural disasters are
recognizably special in some way.

David Hoaglin