Re: st: Re: Odds ratio graph - selecting order of bars

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Re: Odds ratio graph - selecting order of bars
Date   Wed, 10 Jul 2013 16:17:32 +0100

I meant what I said

"whenever the primary aim is to show variations in totals and a
secondary aim is to show components, it is dubious whether equivalent
charts based on separated bars or dot charts necessarily work better."

People do often have multiple aims in graphics.

I often feel free to suggest that people's aims are misguided, as you
perhaps are doing here, but that's a different story.

On Tufte, the facts are not in dispute and we are just at
cross-purposes. Often I see references to Tufte's four books (period)
and I want to add, as you agree, that he wrote books other than his
four books on graphics.