Re: st: Re: Odds ratio graph - selecting order of bars

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Re: Odds ratio graph - selecting order of bars
Date   Wed, 10 Jul 2013 14:53:40 +0100

I share many of David's prejudices about graphics,  but not all.
Stacked or divided bars are, in my view, also over-used in total, but
whenever the primary aim is to show variations in totals and a
secondary aim is to show components, it is dubious whether equivalent
charts based on separated bars or dot charts necessarily work better.

Statistical graphics is, like many fields, an odd mixture of sound
logic, arbitrary convention and occasional fallacy. I've experimented
with groups of students (typical age 20) showing them bar charts and
dot charts (in the sense of -graph dot-) of the same data, and there
is an overwhelming preference for bar charts. Repeatedly the
justification is just familiarity. These students prefer a graph form
they have known for  a decade or more and are unwilling to go for
something cleaner and simpler. Naturally, the answer is to keep on
pushing.

In terms of David's (excellent) references, it is too often forgotten,
or not appreciated, that Edward Tufte wrote several books before the
one cited here. Cleveland's 1985 book went to a second edition in
1994; he self-published from Hobart Press. Robbins' book has just been
reissued in a cheaper form by Chart House.