Re: st: How to get mean coefficients and t-statistics from several regressions

From   Nahla Betelmal <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: How to get mean coefficients and t-statistics from several regressions
Date   Mon, 8 Jul 2013 15:49:16 +0100

Hi Richard, I have few questions and I would be grateful if you can
help me please. I read the two references and also

Samuel B.Thompson, 2010, Simple formulas for standard errors that
cluster by both firm and time,Journal of Financial Economics.

1- what is the difference (in terms of Stata commands) between time
clustering  and Fama-MacBeth time effect? Petersen (2005) reports both
in table 6. Unfortunately, he did not stated the commands he used to
drive the results.

lets assume that there is a "year" variable in the database, then :

statsby _b e(r2), by(year): regress price weight         "does this
represent Fama-MacBeth time effect"

xtreg  price weight year1 year2... yeark, fe cluster (year)
reg  price weight year1 year2... yeark, cluster (year)
Which one of these two if any represents what Petersen reported in
table 6, column III as  cluster by time) please note that Petersen
included time dummies in columns I-IV

regress price weight  , cluster (year)   " According to Thompson, 2010
footnote in page 4 , this is the cluster by time command.

2- According to Thompson, 2010 we can account for both time and firm
effects, however, we need a minimum 25 observations in both
dimensions. In my case I have 57 sectors but only 19 years. So I can
not follow Thomson double clustering.

Again, Petersen was not clear about the double clustering he
performed. In the text page 23. He said to account for one dimension
(time) as dummies while cluster by the other dimension (firm).
However, the results are confusing in Table 6.

Column II should represents Firm cluster , however, it includes time
dummies. Column IV represents Firm and time cluster which also
includes time dummies! What is the difference between column II and
column IV?

What is the Stata command I can use to account for both time and firm effects?

I would highly appreciate it if you help me clear things out. Thank
you for your time and help.

Regards

Nahla