Re: st: Vargranger

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Vargranger
Date   Mon, 8 Jul 2013 13:44:13 +0100

The syntax of -display- is defined in the help as

  display [display_directive [display_directive [...]]]

which is to be interpreted as the command -display- followed by zero
or more display_directives. The term display_directive is defined
immediately. (Asking to -display- zero display_directives makes sense,
as -display- by itself yields a blank line.)

The examples of -display- given in the help include

. display as text "mean of mpg = " as result r(mean)

showing in this case that literal text and a saved result can be
shown. Use of formats is indicated as a possibility in the help. It's
to be expected that you'd need to look at other sections of the help
and/or the manuals to find out more.

In my recent example R was explained to be a matrix. Earlier in the
thread I gave an example of putting saved results into a matrix.

On 8 July 2013 13:18, Ioannis Bournakis <[email protected]> wrote:

> Sorry Nick, I know...this question might look basic but it is quite
> confusing indeed. I could not find any explicit example in the help display.
>
> In you example below, what does R[1,1] declare? Is it the name of a matrix
> previously defined or just stands from return.

Nick Cox