st: How do I make frequencies for combined variables?

From   Edouard Betsem <>
Subject   st: How do I make frequencies for combined variables?
Date   Wed, 26 Jun 2013 13:08:14 -0700

Dear Statalisters,
I am new in Stata and currently working on symptoms combinations for a specific disease. There are 12 symptoms that can be found in combinations of 1 to 12 in different individuals (cases and controls) I would like to tell how frequent any combination is in disease negative individuals. I need to list specifically the symptoms in any combination and the frequency of that particular combination.

If I consider fever, headache and cough,
i need the frequency of each of them them of combination of two then the three of them.
thank you for your great help