st: GEE and planned missingness

From   Kris Anderson <>
Subject   st: GEE and planned missingness
Date   Tue, 25 Jun 2013 09:10:52 -0700

Hi, all.

I am running GEE with panel data with four waves of data. I have time varying predictors that were assessed at different time points (i.e., predictors at wave 1-3 [NMU] and a different set at waves 2-4 [CC EXPAND SE]). I'd like to include them in the analysis but my examination of the documentation (and past posts) suggests that cases with missingness at a given time point will be dropped. Given that data was missing by design for all cases at these waves, this is problematic. Is there a way around this?

Here's my code for reference.

xtgee mjuser CC EXPAN NMU SE sexR i.wave, f(binomial) corr(uns) vce(robust) eform
estat wcorr

I'd appreciate suggestions of alternatives if this is a nonstarter.