Re: st: negative variance?

Subject   Re: st: negative variance?
Date   Tue, 25 Jun 2013 08:51:59 -0500

The standard reference that you would want to start working off is
Self & Liang (1987),
http://www.citeulike.org/user/ctacmo/article/892892; I wrote a couple
of papers on this in the context of structural equation models, see
http://www.citeulike.org/user/ctacmo/article/4307766 and
http://www.citeulike.org/user/ctacmo/article/10844983. Your variance
component does not seem to be identified: the likelihood is flat with
respect to it, which is odd, but I am sure that if I had an extra half
an hour, I would generate an example in Stata to demonstrate this.
(The simplest case is when you have just one observation per unit at a
given level, so there is no information for within-level variation.)
The parameterization of either -xtmelogit- or -gllamm- rules out
negative variance estimates, as they transform the coefficient to be
non-negative (although probably in different ways).

-- Stas Kolenikov, PhD, PStat (SSC)
-- Senior Survey Statistician, Abt SRBI
-- Opinions stated in this email are mine only, and do not reflect the
position of my employer
-- http://stas.kolenikov.name