Re: Re: RE: st: Beta values in QREG

From   Maarten Buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: Re: RE: st: Beta values in QREG
Date   Tue, 25 Jun 2013 11:30:52 +0200

On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 10:57 AM, Santos Silva, J.M.C. wrote:
> b) for the beta coefficients you need to change the scale of the regressors
> and that has noting to do with moments of the dependent variable.

I am guessing that we have different definitions of what a beta
coefficient is. As I understand the terminology a beta coefficient
involves both standardizing the
independent/explanatory/regressors/right-hand-side/x-variables _and_
the dependent/explained/left-hand-side/y variable. So beta
coefficients have everything to do with the (first two) moments of
your dependent variable. Now it may or may not make sense to only
standardize your independent variables, but that would not result in
beta coefficients as I understand it.

-- Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
WZB