st: Degrees of freedom for xtmixed

From   Jordan Silberman <>
Subject   st: Degrees of freedom for xtmixed
Date   Fri, 21 Jun 2013 23:37:14 -0400

Hi Stata folks,

The following URL summarizes the simple formulas used to compute
degrees of freedom in the HLM 7.0 software:

Is there any reason why one can't use these formulas to assign df
values to the fixed effects
estimated by xtmixed? I realize that this approach might be
conservative, which is fine for my purposes.