Re: st: Retrieving variable list from describe

From   Barth Riley <>
Subject   Re: st: Retrieving variable list from describe
Date   Fri, 21 Jun 2013 14:33:24 -0500

Thanks Phil, that did the trick!

On 6/21/2013 2:27 PM, Phil Schumm wrote:
On Jun 21, 2013, at 2:20 PM, Barth Riley <> wrote:
i would like to retrieve the list of variables matching a specification used with describe, e.g.:

describe item*

I know that describe provides an r(varlist) macro, yet I can seem to use or access it. For instance:

foreach var in "`r(varlist)'" {

does nothing. I have also tried not enclosing `r(vrlist)' in quotes . Does this only work in conjunction with the ds command?

You need the -varlist- option with -describe-.

-- Phil

*   For searches and help try:

Barth Riley