st: Retrieving variable list from describe

From   Barth Riley <>
Subject   st: Retrieving variable list from describe
Date   Fri, 21 Jun 2013 14:20:21 -0500

Dear list

i would like to retrieve the list of variables matching a specification used with describe, e.g.:

describe item*

I know that describe provides an r(varlist) macro, yet I can seem to use or access it. For instance:

foreach var in "`r(varlist)'" {

does nothing. I have also tried not enclosing `r(vrlist)' in quotes . Does this only work in conjunction with the ds command?