RE: st: Verify that all values of a variable are mapped after -label values-

From   Toby Robertson <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Verify that all values of a variable are mapped after -label values-
Date   Thu, 20 Jun 2013 21:38:45 +0000

In the absence of an answer I've come up with this solution to identify numeric values in the data file that are not present in the lookup file from numeric values to strings that I want to use as labels:

use datafile
collapse (count)N=somevar, by(myvar)
merge myvar using lookupfile, nokeep keep() unique sort

Which then permits checks like:

tab _m
list myvar N if _merge==1
assert _merge==3

etc. etc.

In other words, do an empty left join of the lookups onto a table of the values in the data, and see which if any values are not in the lookups.

Of the suggestions offered:

- 'tab myvar, missing' and then eyeballing the data is OK for one-off interactive work but is not what I need in this context

- 'decode myvar' defeats the whole purpose of not introducing long string variables into a very large dataset

- 'labelbook mylabel, problem' seems to detect labels that are not used in the data, but not values in the data that are not present in the labels (and doesn't report what the values are anyway)