Re: st: Missing observations

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Missing observations
Date   Thu, 20 Jun 2013 11:32:55 +0100

-drop- as used here drops entire observations (outside Stata
observations are known as rows, cases, records). You seem to be under
the impression that there is an operation

drop missing values

that is somehow different from

-drop- observations

but I don't know what that would look like.

In your example if -var2- has only 169 non-missing values (_not_
observations) then

drop if missing(var2)

will leave precisely 169 observations. I don't understand how that is
a surprise or what else you want.