st: Re: Re: Re: FW: Mediation with endogenous mediator and endogenous independent variables

From   "A.M. Aranda Gutierrez" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Re: Re: Re: FW: Mediation with endogenous mediator and endogenous independent variables
Date   Thu, 20 Jun 2013 09:46:26 +0000

Dear John,

Thank you for your help. I'm indeed taking into account the fact that the mediator is endogenous by using a 2sls instrumental variable estimator. The specific problem in the mediation model that I'm estimating is that there's simultaneity between the mediator and the dependent variable, and potentially between the independent variables and the mediator. Therefore, I'd like to use instruments not only for the mediator but also for the independent variables. I also estimated the models using reg3 but I'm not sure how robust the reg3 estimates are in small samples. In respect to SEM, does Stata offer an instrumental variable estimation as an alternative to the ML estimation?

I find the article you suggested to be quite useful, thanks!

Best,

Ana

*   http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/Dear J,

On 18.06.2013 17:27, A.M. Aranda Gutierrez wrote:
>Dear Statalisters,
>
>I have a question regarding the interpretation of mediation models when using Stata's ivregress command. I am estimating a mediation model with 2 independent variables, 1 mediator, and 1 dependent >variable. Both the mediator and the independent variables are endogenous. Following  the paper titled "Testing for Mediating Variables in Management Research: Concerns, Implications, and Alternative >Strategies" [Shaver (2005), Journal of Management] I'm using the 2sls estimator. Now, the problem is that I need to know the impact of the independent variables on the mediator in order to check the 2nd >condition for mediation which states that the independent variables have to have an impact on the mediator. However, when using the ivregress command Stata reports the first stage results with the >endogenous variables regressed on the exogenous variables. In other words, the first stage reports three regressions: 2 for the independent variables and 1 for the mediator, but from the o!
 utp!