st: Parametric and non-parametric tests

From   Csaba Kertai <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Parametric and non-parametric tests
Date   Wed, 19 Jun 2013 23:51:57 +0200

Dear All,

Could anyone please explain to me how I should go about testing the significance of the difference of the mean/median using the Wilcoxon rank-sum test as well as bootstrapping? I need to test the significance of mean/median return difference for 2 variables that have different numbers of observations. I have to use parametric and non-parametric tests as well but so far the only test that worked was the Two-sample t-test. When I try to use the Wilcoxon rank-sum test it issues an error message saying that more than 2 groups are found and only 2 are allowed. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.

Also, I'm required to test the significance of the difference of the 25th, 50th (median), 75th and 90th percentiles as well as the significance of the difference of the percentage of positive observations for 2 variables using bootstrapping. I've never heard about testing the significance of percentile differences or 'percentage of positive observations' differences. Could anyone help me with these?

Thank you very much indeed, your help is greatly appreciated!

Kind regards,

CK