Re: st: use13 : an experimental Stata command to import datasets in new Stata 13 format into older versions of Stata

To   [email protected], "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: use13 : an experimental Stata command to import datasets in new Stata 13 format into older versions of Stata
Date   Wed, 19 Jun 2013 17:45:47 -0400

At 05:31 PM 6/19/2013, Sergiy Radyakin wrote:
On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 5:19 PM, Richard Williams
<[email protected]> wrote:
> I tried converting this file with Stat/Transfer 12. It ran but the variable

Richard, which file? What was the original variable type and storage type?

It was the toy 2 observation file Robert created that included the command

gen s = "x" * 5000

Complete code is below in the earlier messages.

So, S/T seems to be following Nick's (that he did not recommend) strategy of truncating the variable. Stata 13 and -use13- either drop the variable or refuse to do anything at all. I think I prefer the latter -- I'd like to be explicitly told how the conversion is failing rather than be expected to have read and memorized the help.

> was saved in str244 format and there was no warning that this was happening.

For strL variables -use13- reports as follows:

 *   *   *
Converting file ...{skipped}....\use13\strltest.dta
Variable xstrl has type strL which is not supported in this version of
Stata. This variable is dropped.
 *   *   *
Sergiy Radyakin