Re: st: use13 : an experimental Stata command to import datasets in new Stata 13 format into older versions of Stata

To   [email protected], "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: use13 : an experimental Stata command to import datasets in new Stata 13 format into older versions of Stata
Date   Wed, 19 Jun 2013 17:36:51 -0400

I just took a file that opened fine in Stata 12, saved it in Stata 13 format, and now Stata 12 won't read it. I think that is the sort of thing Sergiy has in mind with his proposed -savemin- command. The file doesn't require any of the special features of Stata 13 but still Stata 12 can't read it. So the command, if it existed, would have to decide "Is there some aspect of this data that could not be perfectly converted into Stata 7 format? If not, save it in Stata 7 format. If it can't be saved in Stata 7 format, then see if it can be saved in Stata 8/9/10/11/12 format."

I think it could be a useful command, but personally I have Stat/Transfer and the people I work with usually aren't that hopelessly behind in their versions. But since many will be behind for a while, I am going to have to remember to save things in Stata 12 format or earlier. The mega strings and other format changes don't seem to be anything I need immediately.

If I recall correctly, one of the last updates of Stata 11 allowed it to read Stata 12 files. But the changes between versions were pretty minor and I would be surprised if Stata 12 is updated to read Stata 13 files.