Re: st: staked area graph

From   Marco Ercolani <>
To   "" <>
Subject   Re: st: staked area graph
Date   Wed, 19 Jun 2013 10:09:17 +0100

[apologies, I meant: sta"c"ked area graph]

Yes, I wish to illustrate the cumulated population proportions of disability types
for a sub-population of disabled workers. Years are on the horizontal axis so I wish
to see how these proportions evolve in time.

To abstract from my own specific example;
The user-written program -proprcspline- does a wonderful job of illustrating these
proportions and placing labels in appropriate places. Unfortunately, for me, it also
applies cubic spline smoothing. For example:

 net install proprcspline.pkg
 sysuse nlsw88, clear
 proprcspline race industry, xlab(1(1)12)

It seems that I am asking for something much simpler than what -proprcspline- does.
If I were to generate these graphs myself I would do so by using the -collapse-
command to generate population proportions and would then adapt the commands: Graphs.html in the plot labelled "// Area Plot" .
(I seem unable to achieve this using the user-written program -catplot-)

Dr Marco G. Ercolani
Department of Economics
University of Birmingham