st: Variable name length limit

From   James Bernard <jamesstatalist@gmail.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   st: Variable name length limit
Date   Wed, 19 Jun 2013 14:20:00 +0800

Hi,

I have been struggling with the limits that Stata has imposed on the
length of variable names. The fact is that Stata often takes a
variable name and while running some tests creates ancillary variables
that are named by combing my current variable names and new suffixes
by Stata. This makes the variable name exceed the 32-character limit.
Therefore, Stata stops and gives error.

I did a search and found a thread on this titled "disable 32 character
limit". However, what is written there hardly addresses what the title
indicates. Is there really any way to disable this bugging limit?

Thanks,
James